In today’s blog we are going to cover the following:
1. What is a shift worker/shift
2. Why floating is great if your schedule is all over the place
3. Why a previous shift worker (Our owner Benny) created Freedom Float Centre.
4. How some feel after your float experience.
5. What kind of packages are available to make the most out of your experience.
What is a shift worker? A person who works shifts generally out side of the normal 9-5 business hours.
Some examples: Paramedics, hospital staff, emergency doctors, bartenders, entertainers, security etc.
This kind of work can cause havoc on your sleeping patterns as humans generally go off the circadian rhythm.
The circadian rhythm is our natural, internal process that regulates the sleep-wake cycle and repeats roughly
every 24 hours. It makes having shifts start at night and finish in the day a little confusing for the brain to produce the hormones needed to allow for us to sleep.
I have attached a short 2 minute video on how melatonin (sleep hormone) affects the brain in case you want to learn more.
So why is floating great for those schedules that are all over the place?
Freedom Float Centre houses 3x i-sopods. Some of the largest float pods on the market. These pods are completely
enclosed capsules that are easy to use and sound proof. Filled with 550kg of Epsom salts, these pods are a completely quiet space to get away and fully recharge.
Float sessions go for 1hr or 2hrs and completely get rid of any outside noise whilst shifting the brain into the theta state
The complete darkness allows your melatonin to increase and your cortisol to lower making it the perfect place for shift workers to get in there zzzzz’s
Freed from all sensation of gravity, temperature, touch, sight and sound (which together account for 90% of normal neuromuscular activity), you conserve and redirect
vast amounts of natural physical and mental energy. – Quote
How the Freedom Float Centre came about
The owner of Freedom Float Centre knows first hand what shift work is like and it’s part of the reason he became so passionate about floating. See below his response to an interview with Social&Staple.
BENNY: I was living in Perth and working long stints away doing FIFO work scaffolding and rigging. 12-hour shifts both days and nights, as well as rigorous training on top of that takes its toll on the body. A friend of mine told me that she was working at a ‘Float Centre’ in Perth… I was like.. “What the hell is a float centre?!”… I went to Beyond Rest in Perth and tried my first float, it definitely took a little ‘settling in’ as there’s no experience quite like it..all of the weird and wonderful aspects of laying naked in the dark, in rich magnesium drenched water which is heated to your body temperature, absolutely weightless and completely supported. I have to say I loved floating from the get-go!
The main ambition was to create a community hub of health and wellness. We wanted to keep floating as the focal point because it is beneficial to everyone for various reasons. With the skyrocketing rates of mental health issues and physical ailments, the world needs more opportunity to rest, recharge and allow time for self-reflection.
And… here we are!!
How do you feel afterwards?
For the majority of our clients we find that they come out pleasantly surprised after their initial float experience. Some of the quotes from our review book below 🙂
‘Slightly skeptical at first.. Now so blissed out. Looking forward to more’
‘Such an incredible experience! Really relieved a lot of stress leading up to exams!’
‘My body feels more alive than it has for a long time. Even my hearing seems better’
‘My float centered me & took me back to the rested, happy soul where my spirit, soul mind and body is at its happiest’
‘Floating to assist a pinched nerve in my neck, can already feel the improvement’
‘Probably the best thing I’ve found to reduce the pain in my body. Helps me feel like I’m winning the battle against fibromyalgia’
“The Ultimate Shivasana” – Dr Justin Feinstein.
- Reduces stiffness & tenderness in the muscles
- Enhances athletic performance by speeding up muscle recovery time and eliminating fatigue
- Promotes blood circulation through the limbs
- Assists with boosting endorphins
- Reduces inflammation, stress hormones & heart rate
- The water and Epsom salt combination help in facilitating the removal of toxins from the body.
- Alleviates chronic pain symptoms (for example arthritis, fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis & migraines)
- Relieves discomfort from pre-menstrual & pregnancy symptoms.
- Improves skin health
“The most important tool for developing my mind, for thinking, for evolving” – Joe Rogan.
- Helps to reduce anxiety, depression, & nervousness
- Combats sleep disorders (one hour in the float tank is the equivalent to 4 hours sleep)
- Increases dopamine & serotonin
- Increases mental clarity, alertness, energy levels, motivation & productivity
- Synchronises the right (creative) and left (analytical) hemispheres of the brain
- Allows you to enter Theta brainwave state – ideal for creativity, visualisation, insight & inspiration
- Reach deep states of meditation and relaxation
What packages are available to enhance the float experience?
BLISS COMBO – 1HR MASSAGE + 1HR FLOAT = $170
PAMPER PACK – 1HR MASSAGE + 1HR FLOAT + 30 MINUTE SAUNA = $185
SAUNA/FLOAT COMBO – 30 MINUTE SAUNA + 1HR FLOAT = $94
We always look forward having new clients in the centre. We love reading the reviews and seeing how a person can go from being so stressed and anxious pre-float to completely relaxed post-float. If you or anyone you know is a shift worker and struggling with their sleep this could be the perfect experience for them. 🙂